SPLA-IO general inspects Juba cantonment site
April 6, 2016, JUBA – Gen. James Kong Choul, SPLA-IO deputy chief of staff, this morning made a general inspection of the cantonment site where opposition forces are accommodated in Jebel Kujur area, west of the capital city.
Kong said that so far they have received 911 forces in Juba, including both police and soldiers. He said the visit to the cantonment site is to tell the world that their forces have arrived safe in the country’s capital.
“At the moment we have 911 (troops) in these two camps. We have 130 from the police have arrived yesterday for the joint forces,” Kong said. He said that the rest of the forces will arrival within the week to meet the threshold of 1,370 SPLM-IO troops in Juba.
That was the number of troops agreed by the parties as a minimum to permit SPLM-IO chairman Riek Machar’s return to Juba.
Kong explained that there be a joint training for the presidential guards between his forces and the government in order to build confidence between the two separate forces. He said they are for peace not going again for war.
He said the only challenge that they faced at the level of Joint Military Ceasefire Commission is the issue of cantonment in the Bahr el Ghazal and Equatoria region.
“Yes, it is a big challenge to the JMCC and big challenge to the peace. Anyhow we are waiting for the political situation,” he said.