13 people die from hunger in Northern Bahr al Ghazal

img_1105AWEIL (21 Mar.)

Northern Bahr al Ghazal’s Commissioner for Relief and Rehabilitation, Deng Kuel, says at least 13 people have died from hunger in the area between 8 to 11 March.

The figure for the grater Northern Bahr al Ghazal and Raja is the first official death toll announced after South Sudan’s government and UN agencies announced famine in parts of the country in February.

Speaking to Radio Tamazuj on Monday, Kuel said more than 10,000 people fled their homes due to the Raja events last year. He added that other people fled from Aweil due to hunger.

The official pointed out that the displaced families are currently living under trees in Aru Maring and Awuda areas, saying they are eating leaves to stay alive, amid absence of humanitarian organizations in the area.

He called on international NGOs to help the needy people as soon as possible.

Photo:Northern Bahr al Ghazal’s (Retrieved from Google Maps)

Advertisements