Authorities say the gunman who opened fire in a Texas church had sent threatening text messages to his mother-in-law, who attended the church.
“There was a domestic situation going on within the family and the in-laws,” Freeman Martin, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety, told reporters. “The mother-in-law attended the church. We know he sent threatening … that she had received threatening text messages from him.”
Freeman Martin said that the mass shooting was not racially or religiously motivated.
Authorities say that evidence at the scene leads them to believe that Devin Patrick Kelley died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after he crashed his car. He had been chased by armed bystanders.
Wilson County Sheriff Joe D. Tackitt Jr. says Kelley was being pursued by two community members and investigators believe gunfire was exchanged before Kelley’s vehicle crashed.
The sheriff says investigators believe Kelley shot himself after the wreck.
They say Kelley also used his cellphone to tell his father that he had been shot and didn’t think he would survive.
Officials say 26 people were killed Sunday in an attack that claimed people ranging in age from 5 to 72 years old.
Several people remain hospitalized.
An official with University Health System in San Antonio said five people remained hospitalized Monday—three children and two adults. Martha Rendon (ren-DOHN) says the patients range in age from 4 to 57 years old, with their conditions listed as being from serious to critical.
Rendon also says one of the victims who died Sunday was a pediatric patient that had been transported to the hospital. She declined to release further details on the child.
A spokeswoman for Connally Memorial Medical Center in Floresville said one person was listed in stable condition Monday. Megan Posey declined to release additional details on the patient.
Officials with Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, which received eight patients on Sunday, did not immediately provide an update Monday.