PRIORITIES FOR SOUTH SUDAN PEACE REVITALIZATION WORKING PAPER
COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT FOR PROGRESS ORGANIZATION
THE 59 TH EXTRA ORDINARY IGAD COUNCIL OF MINISTERS MEETING
DATED 15 th -16 th Dec. 2017
PRIORITIES FOR SOUTH SUDAN PEACE REVITALIZATION
THE SCOPE OF REVITALIZATION
To have proper knowledge for effective engagement on Agreement on the Resolution of Conflict in South Sudan (ARCSS) revitalization, it is essential to have clear scope for revitalizing ARCSS. Absence of clear defined scope by IGAD for revitalizing ARCSS offers great opportunity for the conflicting parties to drag the process. It’s essential for the 59th extra ordinary IGAD Council of Ministers meeting schedule for 15th -16th Dec. 2017 to proved clear defined scope for revitalizing ARCSS. The scope will in advance tell the conflicting parties to prepare on matters of compromise and critical decisions. The scope should provide clear timeline for revitalizing of ARCSS. We have the following proposals for the scope,
1. Identifying and addressing what went wrong in the past in relation to the implementation of ARCSS
2. Reviewing the content of ARCSS chapter 1 and 2 provisions including chapter 7 with focus on the mandates of the implementation mechanism of provisions of chapter 1, 2 and 7
3. The other armed and non-armed groups in opposition should provide their positions in form of political road map on what they think should be revitalized in ARCSS.
4. What is the role of IGAD plus strategy? The 59th extra ordinary council of minister meeting has to draw clear lines for the engagement of AU with IGAD. Specifically the AU ad hoc members namely Nigeria, Rwanda, Algeria, Chad and South Africa for supporting IGAD in the implementation of ARCSS
5. What is realistic timeline for implementation of ARCSS
The revitalization agenda should specifically focus on the following proposals;
ARCSS CHAPTER 1 AND 2 PRIORITIES
1. Power sharing arrangements: Redistribution of ministries and parliamentary seats among various political actors with possible initiation of sharing political decision making mechanism in the presidency.
2. Government mandate: The government should be totally focusing on the followings; organization of peaceful and creditable national general elections; facilitation of transitional justices; maintenance of permanent ceasefire; facilitation of humanitarian assistance and conducting essential electoral related legislations and institutions reforms
3. The concept of two armies: The principle of having two armies is no longer viable because of the too many armed groups. Creation of joint protection forces for political leaders is needed. The separate military control system should be left absolute as responsibility of Joint Military Ceasefire Commission and CTASMM
4. Demilitarization principle: Demilitarize through establishment of military cantonment and assembling points for each armed group under fully control of Joint military ceasefire commission and CTASMM
5. Cantonment of army: The strategy of military cantonment is required to be changed from establishment of cantonment areas around Juba to establishment of cantonment areas within communities.
ARCSS CHAPTER 7 PRIORITIES:
Strengthening the mandate of Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangement Monitoring Mechanism (CTSAMM) and National Committee on the Amendment of the Constitution (NCAC) including JMEC.
ELEMENTS FOR EXTENSION OF ARCSS IMPLEMENTATION TIMELINE
A. 2018 PRIORITIES
. Securing permanent ceasefire and security arrangement immediately after the outcome of the revitalization
. National Committee on Amendment of constitution (NCAC)
accomplished its mandate on incorporation of the ARCSS into the transitional constitution within the six months from the date of the revitalization
. Political arrangement for forming/restructuring TOGUN immediately after the date of signing the revitalization outcome
. Fundraising for ARCSS implementation immediately after the signing of the revitalization outcomes
B. 2019 PRIORITIES
. Planning and rolling out of IDPs and Refugees repatriation
. Designing unrestrictive humanitarian access.
. Designing electoral relate legislation and institutions reforms
. Facilitation of transitional justice till the end of the ARCSS period may be possible beyond ARCSS given period
. Political parties’ registration
C. 2020 PRIORITIES
. Effective IDPs and Refugees repatriation
. Designing and facilitation of National population censuses
. National security conference for facilitation of national general elections
D. 2021 PRIORITIES
1. Electoral geographical constituency’s demarcation
2. Roll-out of national elections civic education
3. National Reconciliation conference for non-violent electoral process
E. 2022 PRIORITIES
1. Facilitation of elections process.
2. Security sector reforms execution.
F. 2023 PRIORITIES
1. Democratic Elected government installed
2. Elected government completed the implementation of the ARCSS accomplished provisions under post-conflict governance arrangement
The 59th extra ordinary IGAD council of minister meeting should offer concrete road map for ARCSS revitalization plan for the extra ordinary IGAD head of governments and state summit scheduled after the extra ordinary council of ministers meeting.
Designing the revitalization with clear defined principle of complimentarily between the ARCSS revitalization and the national dialogue is key. The 59th IGAD extra ordinary council of ministers meeting should clear ensure AU to use the National Dialogue as a process for strengthening citizens’ ownership of the transitional justice process.
Finally, CEPO is urging AU and IGAD head of states and government to position some leaders among them to help the cultivation of political will and good faith for effective implementation of ARCSS. Our proposal for that is; At AU level task/assign Rwandan President with support from IGAD head of state and government namely Kenyan President and Ethiopian Prime Minister to aid the implementation of ARCSS. These heads of states and government should empower JMEC, IGAD special envoy to South Sudan and AU high Representative to South Sudan roles during the implementation of ARCSS. They should also get involved in direct influence of Uganda, Sudan and Egypt presidents for realization of peace and stability in South Sudan.